Monday, September 10, 2007

Assignment #3: Media Selection

It was my hidden intention to disprove O'Sullivan's model, but I really am as self-centered as he implies!

As O'Sullivan theorized, I chose the specific form of media based on the valence of the episode and locus of issue for both situations.

The first situation I will elaborate on that required the use of a form of media concerned a negative experience between an acquaintance and me. To make a long story short, I went out on a limb for this person but he basically embarrassed me in front of my friends by lying and acting in a way that made others feel uncomfortable. Since then, I had been very cold to this person, and the fact that we had mutual friends made it even more uncomfortable for him. However, I realized it was wrong of me to be cold to him, especially in front of mutual friends, so I decided to make amends and apologize to him. The valence and locus of the episode was negative and self (negative because I was admitting my fault, and self because it concerned my actions). My decision to use facebook to privately message him to apologize and explain my actions was almost automatic. Out of all the forms of media I could have used (email, phone, face to face, IM), I chose one of the more asynchronous forms because it allows me to be as detached from the situation as I want to be. The most important question to ask is WHY I want to be as detached as possible. The answer to this question supports O'Sullivan's Impression Management model. According to O'Sullivan, when valence is expected to be negative and locus is expected to be self, a mediated interaction is preferred more than in any other condition. My preference is influenced by the expected impact of the episode on me, therefore implying that factors other than mere efficiency and optimal pairing of equivocality of situation and richness of media (Media Richness Theory) affect an individual's choice of media.

The second situation prompted me to congratulate a friend of mine for accomplishing a goal that took a lot of patience and time: he had been cigarette-free for 3 months. This was such a great feat, because I've seen how difficult it is to quit from witnessing my close relatives' experience with addiction. However, I was at school and this person was at his school and the most personal way I could congratulate him was over the phone. I did so, and we were both so happy for him, but it felt almost incomplete because we had talked over the phone and not in person. The valence and locus of this episode was positive and other (positive because I was congratulating and other because the congratulations was toward another person). My desire for the encounter to be as personal as possible supports O'Sullivan's model; based on his model, when valence is expected to be positive and locus is expected to be other, a mediated form of interaction is least preferred than in any other situation. However, what I discovered to be interesting is what I realized what may have been my inner motive. Why did I want the media to be the most personal? Was it because I WANTED him to believe that I am a considerate and caring friend? If that is so, the ultimate influence of my choice to use the richest media is my desire to uplift myself and make myself the center of the situation. This brings me back to O'Sullivan's implication that people are selfish and preferences are highly influenced by the impact of episode on self.

No comments: