Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Assignment #2, the deadly debater.

Sorry for posting this late. I just added the class last week.

I decided to observe a person in an asynchronous forum. The psychological space I picked was an Avatar (anime) forum in which I previously posted so I could understand what everyone is talking about easily.
After looking around a bit, the user “Princess Azula” caught my attention. My impression of her is that she is a passionate speaker who defends her position with impeccable logic and supports her logic with analogies and examples. Well, I’m not entirely sure about the impeccable part, but her display of head-spinning philosophical knowledge after a few rounds of heated debate was really impressive. Her sentences are structured, clean and concise, and she doesn’t use any emonicons or words such as “I think” “like” to soften the blow. This is what they would probably call surgical strike.
And for those who don’t watch Avatar, Princess Azula is the princess of the Fire Nation. Fire Nation people are known for their passion and drive. Azula, while supremely ambitious, is really cold blooded. She is a deadly fighter who mastered the highest order of fire techniques, which includes lightning – the cold-blooded fire, befitting her image. So, in short, the name Princess Azula is roughly the equivalent of Cold-Blooded Killer.
Just by looking at the user name and the picture (she uses a picture with Azula holding blue flame ready to launch), I get the impression that she is formidable and deadly. And her abilities in debate confirmed this point. I think this observation coincides with the Hyperpersonal model as the mercilessness implied in her username is confirmed in her behavior.
Judging from her style of debate, I would say that she is a pro (by pro I mean she debates often, either in class or in team) at debate who is well versed in philosophy and possibly math since math requires good logic. And since Avatar is an anime, she is probably in high school or college. That’s about all I can figure out.
I would say that this also fits into the Hyperpersonal model: since she is a relatively few member and have relatively fewer posts, it would take a while for people to develop a full impression of her (SIP); since most of the posts she has so far are intense and debate oriented, I may be overly focused on her skillfulness as a debater instead of other things (over-attribution).

No comments: