Tuesday, September 11, 2007

3: I Want to Be a Psychology Major and Finish My Pride & Prejudice Essay

I swear; these past two assignments have made me more adventurous. Creating new screen names has really lets me explore the realms of chat rooms – a sphere that I had steered clear from. I had lacked what I felt was an anonymous identity. Needless to say, with new a new screen name, my inhibitions were lowered and I felt comfortable realizing the assignment: completing an identity switch in a psychological space (option 1).

With the copious amount of homework I had tonight, I didn’t get a chance to actually start this assignment until after midnight. When I went to check on some off-the-beaten-path chat rooms, such as NASCAR Chat, P. Diddy Chat, and Financial Safety Chat, I found not one person in any of them. So I went back to what I learned last time; people will go into Romance Chats at all hours of the night. I ventured into the Alone@Home Chat, which I was very apprehensive into going into, but it was the only chat room with people in it.

In this chat room, I decided to use my self-presentational tactics to portray myself as a 16 year old female, junior in high school. My story was as follows: I was up late trying to finish an essay on Pride and Prejudice, and I got stuck on how I should write the conclusion. I wrote a message in the chat room asking for help on writing my essay, and got a few responses.

I got into a conversation with Waterskier24. He was extremely helpful and offered a lot of help for my imaginary essay. I played up the fact that Sparknotes didn’t have enough information for me to complete my essay, and I didn’t have time to finish the book. I kept talking about the stress of the SATs and how hard my AP classes were. I made a point to focus on high school and searching for colleges. Eventually, we started talking about my fake AP Psychology class, and this helpful man happened to be an employee in a psych hospital studying sleep (hence, his late hours). I asked him what interesting classes he had taken in psychology. The conversation shifted to why I thought I wanted to be a psychology major, and how fascinating I thought his work was. The fact that he worked in a psych lab helped fuel the academic conversation.

waterskier24 (1:40:52 AM): i work in a psych hospital.... get paid to watch patients sleep most of the night

sweetipie38242 (1:40:59 AM): oo very cool

waterskier24 (1:42:56 AM): and u, what do u do?

sweetipie38242 (1:43:32 AM): im a junior in high school, so right now just college searching and AP classes

waterskier24 (1:43:49 AM): exciting

waterskier24 (1:44:01 AM): what u thinking bout majoring in, or do u not know?

waterskier24 (1:44:05 AM): where at as well?

sweetipie38242 (1:44:06 AM): well im actually think about psychology

sweetipie38242 (1:44:14 AM): and I think I’m going to apply early decision to SUNY buffalo

waterskier24 (1:44:34 AM): nice, the major for people that have no clue!

Throughout the conversation, I made a point to talk about things that I did in highschool. Even though this guy was significantly older than me, and seemingly creepy for talking to a high school girl when he was clearly beyond college age, there were no sexual undertones to our conversation, and the conversation was kept primarily to highschool academia. I made a point to make myself below the legal age when creating my identity, so that might’ve helped hinder sexual harassment, as that was a problem last week when I went into a chat room. With this barrier an my new identity, I felt comfortable “being myself”.

1 comment:

Samantha S said...

Rachel,
I think you did a great job recapping your experience with details of the identity you were portraying. I can see how you may have managed your expressions; however, I think you could have expanded more on your presentation tactics (like how you chose which details to include). I also found your last sentence very ironic, yet true. It is funny how identity alteration online can actually allow us to be who we might not have the confidence or courage to be in real life. We are able to explore a variety of selves (ought, actual, true, ideal) through CMC that are difficult, if not impossible, to experience in real life – very thought provoking!