Sunday, September 9, 2007

Assignment 3, Option 2: How my mom became technologically savvy

My mom is the kind of person who needs step by step instructions on how to use a tv remote. When I received my first video chat request from her I knew something was awry. Up until this point I had no idea my mom had a computer, let alone could use it. Thirty seconds into what was the first of about ten video conversations in the first week, she told me about the computer class she took at the Mac store and the great time she was having with her new laptop. She then proceeded to do some kind of dance and tell me how tired I looked. Sure it was fun for the first three minutes of the first day, but as you can imagine, it got old very fast.

She couldn't get over the fact that her little girl was no longer 200 miles away in Ithaca, but a few clicks and a smile from her empty nest. Being able to speak as if we were across the table from one another, my nervous smiles gave up the fact that I hadn't exactly been spending my Thursday nights at the library. The lack of cues in my twice proofread emails were no match for the 18 years of FtF conversation we've had. She could see everything from my eyebrow raises to to me scratching my nose. This method now became her preferred medium of communication to keep in touch. To my mother, being able to talk to me, check up on me, and see with her own eyes that I'm still in one piece while I'm here at Cornell is very important to her. This is why she prefers to videochat instead of just using the phone or e-mail.The richness of cues from my expressions and availablity of feedback, whether it be my eyes rolling or a real laugh (as opposed to a typed "haha)" present via videochatting far exceeds the cues available from any other media channel.

While I do not have to worry so much about the impression I make on my mother, I try to come across to my professors in a more professional light. Recently, I decided that I wanted to switch in to a class that I was not able to add on Just the Facts. I could either go to Warren and find the professor in his office to ask his permission, call him on the telephone or write him an e-mail. I ruled out calling the professor on the telephone, I felt the telephone is more apt for social situations or atleast situations where it is understood that the person you are trying to reach would not mind spending time at that moment to talk to you. I did not know what this professor was like or if he was busy at the time. I could have gone to visit him at his office and asked, but I decided that e-mailing him would be best. This way I could articulate exactly what I wanted to say in order to come off as a diligent and eager student. Using this form of lean media I could manage my impression and come off exactly as I wanted to, hence the Impression Management theory.

My comments:
http://comm245brown.blogspot.com/2007/09/3-my-husband-my-life-my-choices-your.html
http://comm245brown.blogspot.com/2007/09/3-courses-and-mischief.html

1 comment:

Gerard Scott Russ said...

Hi Hallie, great post. It’s great that you talked about how much the presence or absence of visual cues can affect the richness of a media. I think that your concession that video chatting ‘got old’ indicates that it is an overly rich medium for the majority of the communications that you and your mother will be having. Not considering your mother’s over joy with video chatting, I think your distaste could be considered support for the Media Richness Theory, albeit in reverse.